It’s October, otherwise known as Halloween! I love Halloween time because horror and thrillers are my favourite books and films and I usually wear black. I also have some bat fairy-lights on in my room all year round!
So, when I saw My Bookish Universe’s post of this Halloween Tag I had to join in. Below is 30 spooky-related questions and my honest answers!
1. What is your favourite Halloween/horror song?
I feel like I don’t really have one but upon reading this question, the first song that came to my head was Somebody’s Watching Me by Rockwell & Michael Jackson. Just quite a good bop.
2. What is something you wouldn’t want to run into in an abandoned building or dark forest?
A man. Final answer.
3. Have you ever played with an Ouija board?
No but if I got my hands on one, I probably would. With the lights on.
4. Who is your favourite horror monster/villain?
Literature wise, Frankenstein’s Monster because I strongly believe he is not the monster of the story! I will fight this to the death.
5. What’s the creepiest thing that’s ever happened while you were alone?
When I was about 7 I had a cabin bed (a bunk bed without the bottom bed). Underneath my bed was a lot of Barbie dolls. I had a Barbie doll Britney-style stage, where if the doll walked on a certain button on the stage a Britney song would start. One night, I got woken up by one of these songs starting under my bed. Truly horrifying.
6. If you were dared to spend the night in a ‘haunted house’ would you?
No chance. Absolutely not.
7. Are you superstitious?
Even though I am terrified of staying in a place that’s been labelled haunted, no I’m actually not! At all. I can confidently walk on the cracks on the pavement and walk under sign posts.
8. Do you ever see figures in your peripheral vision?
I never see people, but whenever there is a slight dark splotch in the corner of my eye I am instantly convinced it is a spider coming to attack me. I should probably get help.
9. Which urban legend scares you the most?
I live in Liverpool, England and there is a local urban legend that there is a time-slip in the city centre. People have reported walking out of the Central train station and suddenly finding themselves in the 1950s or 60s. Theorists have looked at the underground railway route and realised it creates a circle, with the time-slip street situated right in the middle. No thank you.
10. Do you prefer gore or thrillers?
Definitely thrillers! Proper, intricate gore knocks me sick. I can’t watch videos of people getting surgery or an operation, fictional or real.
11. Do you believe in multiple dimensions or worlds?
I don’t, but sometimes when I feel down about a decision I’ve made it comforts me to tell myself in another world I made a different, better decision – and that different version of me might be living a better life.
12. Ever made a potion of any sort?
Not since I was a child and mixed leaves, weeds and water with a twig!
13. Do you get scared easily?
Oh definitely, but I also do the scaring easily.
14. Have you ever played Bloody Mary?
Yes, when I was about 13. I was weirdly disappointed that nothing happened.
15. Do you believe in demons/the devil?
16. You’re home alone but you hear footsteps in your house…what do you do?
Grab the cat!
17. If you got trapped in one scary movie, which one would you choose?
My first instinct is to say IT because, apart from the creepy clown, it’s a film kind of about friendship. And it would be pretty cool going underground with your mates.
18. If you could only ever wear one Halloween costume for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I’d probably just dress as a witch. I’m normally seen with a cat by my side so it would fit the aesthetic and people probably wouldn’t bat an eyelid!
19. Would you ever go to a graveyard at night?
Definitely…I’m surprised I haven’t already.
20. In a zombie apocalypse, what is your weapon of choice?
I think I would just leg it.
21. Would you rather go to a Halloween party or trick-or-treating?
My immunity to the cold isn’t what it was 10 years ago so probably a Halloween party as long as it’s indoors!
22. You’re in a horror movie. Are you: first to die? Last girl standing? Comic relief? The skeptic? The smart one? The killer?
Definitely the comic relief. Or the killer, it depends who the other characters are played by…
23. Do you have to watch something happy after a horror to help you sleep?
No, I am hardcore. I just keep the light on a little bit longer than usual.
24. Whilst watching scary movies, are you the person yelling at the characters, the person with their eyes covered or the person who falls asleep?
The person with their eyes covered. I think I have them covered from the moment it starts!
25. Are you the one who gets scared or does the scaring?
If I’m on guard, I am impossible to scare. I usually do the scaring – and then get pissed when it’s done back to me.
26. What is your favourite scary book?
Cliche, I know, but 100% IT. It’s just a superb book from start to finish. The plot, the writing, the format – it is all perfect.
27. How old were you when you saw your first horror movie?
Probably too young! My mum loves horror so I imagine I ended up accidentally seeing one at a young age. If I can’t remember though, at least she didn’t traumatise me.
28. What was your first Halloween costume?
From what I can remember, a witch. I remember having a green hat with a green wig attached to it.
29. What are you going to do for Halloween this year?
Probably be in lockdown! I’ll watch a scary film or two with my flat mate. (If you’re reading this, Laura, you can pick)
30. If you could have a spooky pet (black cat, bat, owl, rat, wolf…) what would you pick?
Obviously a black cat. But I would be down for having any of those as a pet!
I hope you enjoyed reading my answers – and if you want to join in, remember to tag me in your answers! Happy Halloweeeeen 🎃